Wednesday 5 February 2014

Tea and Hair: Day 1

What's this? I'm mixing tea and hair? Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!

So, my plan is to make a daily, after shampooing spray for my hair, using a tea mixture. I've been doing some reading, and many people find a tea rinse helpful, and some people use them as a spray. And, because it is tea related I am bringing you along for the ride.

My goal of this is to 1) see the prospective uses for tea, and 2) help my hair using something I'm passionate about. I also need some sort of hobby to make sure I stay motivated.

I'll post updates once a week, on Wednesdays, ending March 5th (or 12th, I'm unsure)!

If you don't want any information on my hair type or regular routine, then skip to under my selfie.

---

I have a 3a hair-type, my hair has a low-porosity when it is not being negatively affected by the weather, and medium when it gets too dry, mostly from winter dryness. Even my skin is drier during the winter. Medium width and a little longer than shoulder length. I have a little over a medium density hair during the summer, in the winter, it drops to a medium. If I'm stressed, I shed much, much more.

I am blessed with the genetics for having dandruff on both sides. So using Head & Shoulders as a shampoo is basically a need. Otherwise I get an itchy, dry, flaky scalp. Seriously. If I shampoo with a different one, my scalp is like NO. and gets itchy. So, to combat it's drying effect, I make sure to use their 2 in 1 shampoo, AND  conditioner for curly hair. I can't seem to find the PERFECT conditioner though, SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE. Currently, I use a Strictly Curls by Marc Anthony.

I wish I could wash my hair every other day, but because I'm a massage therapist, and my bangs are still growing out (thus at a very awkward length, and the curls make it so that not all of it is controlled by a bobby pin), I manage to get massage oil on it.

My selfie game is weak after
getting my hair all oiled up
So, the night before I did a major moisturizing treatment, like I do probably once every other week. Sometimes more like once a week, sometimes more than once a week if the weather gets cold and dry, but not less unless I can't help it. My hair gets straighter when I do, because, well, I'm stroking it a little and getting my quasi-treatment all over it. Also, I do it at the end of the day. Sadly, I do have to give my hair a comb out with a wider tooth comb to do it, otherwise my fingers get caught in the curls.

I use:




My Mother-in-law-to-be found the coconut oil at Costco of all places! And let me tell you, it's in a huge ass tub and super high quality, yummy as well!

It smells nice and serves its purpose. But our horrible winter weather, and the fact I wash my hair every day (not good for hair and scalp care!), dries it out.






For the spray leave in I'm:


  • 1 scoop chamomile tea
  • 1 scoop Indonesian Green Tea
  • 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
  • 1 pot of boiling water
  • 1 drop tea tree oil
  • one drop peppermint oil
  • 1 spray bottle, washed and dried


I started by cutting and crushing the rosemary. Then boiled the rosemary, and its stem, and the tea for a minute at a rolling boil, then let it steep until cool. Then, obviously, I strained it. I actually did this twice, to make sure I didn't get any floaties.
Then I put it in the spray bottle, and lightly spritzed my hair (it was towel dried, but still wet). I tried to get all of it.
Then, I put that shit in the fridge, to make sure it keeps.




Look at this massive ringlet


It smelled fresh, kind of minty. Just light, and fresh is the only word I can think of! Not bad in the least
My hair felt pretty damn smooth and soft after it dried.
My hair looked shiney as fuuuuck after it dried.
The peppermint oil left a bit of a tingly cooking sensation. Because it's so watered down, it was only a small one.

Day one overall happiness level pretty damn happy. Smooth ringlets!

LOOK AT THE SHINE




















By the end of the day my hair was frizzier, and my curls weren't as tight. I still have ringlets hanging out though. I did go for a walk today, and it was cold and dry out.

Hair raisingly yours,

Laura

-----

Benefits of rosemary for hair [1] [2] [3] [4]
Benefits of chamomile for hair [1] [2]
Benefits of green tea for hair [1] [2]
Benefits of tea tree oil for hair [1] [2] [3]
Benefits of peppermint for hair [1] [2]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, or suggestions!