Tuesday 22 October 2013

Sweet Indulgence: Organic Cream of Earl Grey

Cream of Earl Grey

So today I decided to start doing my Sweet Indulgence collection.

Apple Tarte Tatin
The idea came to me when my mum and I were making our Apple Tarte Tatin in a cast iron skillet [found in this cookbook***]. I wanted a tea that would be really nice with a dessert, that I hadn't reviewed yet, and that wouldn't conflict with the Tarte Tatin.
So I picked the Organic Cream of Earl Grey.

Keep in mind I only have the sampler pack. LUCKILY it is enough for two pots of tea (at least for Cream of EG)! So I put 1 tbsp to a 4 cup pot, and steeped for about 5 minutes. It's medium caffeine, so not bedtime safe!




I tried it black, with milk, with sugar, and then with milk and sugar.  I like it either black or with milk and sugar.
Just milk, and just sugar brought out a little bitterness in the tea. It was still good, just not as.
With milk AND sugar, it did kinda kill the bergamot flavor (you could still taste it, just not as strong). Now, you must be wondering why I liked it this way as well as black! I liked it because it was sweet and creamy and reminded me of drinking tea as a child. It tasted like an Earl Grey you'd give to a kid who wanted to try it.

Black it tasted like you mixed DavidsTea's Pure Vanilla and Early Grey together. AKA, delicious. And, as I suspected, it doesn't fight with the Tarte!
You get all the notes of a regular Earl Grey, just a little more mellow, along with some creamy notes of vanilla. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every cup.


I'm not 100% sure I'd buy it though. I have Pure Vanilla and I have regular Earl Grey...I'm going to try mixing them, to see if I get a similar flavor. If I do, then I won't buy it.

If you have neither Pure Vanilla and/or regular Earl Grey, then it's worth it to get this. Same if you have no intent of using Pure Vanilla as a stand alone tea, or mixed with others. Weight your options, and weight your pocketbooks. Tea can be very expensive.

It's a nice tea and any Earl Grey lover will enjoy.


Skål and happy creating!

-Laura


IF YOU HAVE ANY TEA YOU WOULD LIKE REVIEWED, LEAVE A COMMENT AND WE WILL SEE WHAT WE CAN DO.


***I really don't recommend this cookbook. It can be very vague. The Tarte Tatin came out to taste DELICIOUS but, it doesn't look great once you flip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, questions, or suggestions!